Monday, June 28, 2010

Victory!

About two weeks ago I got a letter from my local newspaper saying that my account was about to be sent to collections. Of course I called in to debate this. I had signed up for one year of $1/week newspapers (for the coupons). What I didn't realize (although I should have assumed) was that they would continue my subscription at full price after that. I was no longer receiving papers and assumed it was because my year was up; really it was due to non-payment.

I conceded that I couldn't really expect them to forgive my "debt" just because I didn't read the fine print, but I should have received a notification of the change in rate, or at least a bill at some point before the collection letter. Even the supervisor I spoke with was unable to say I had been sent a bill. She told me my only recourse was to write to the accounting department who would make me pay if I had received the paper.

I don't give up that easily, so I wrote the accounting department explaining that because I was not sent a bill or notification of rate change, that my balance should be forgiven, or at least decreased to the $1/week rate I had agreed to pay.

Today I received a letter of apology stating that my account balance had been forgiven and that it was never sent to collections, etc.

$16 saved! Plus, now I can get the next year of coupons for $.75/week.

Victory!

No comments: