Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hello There

Busy week, but I'm sitting in a van riding back to Arizona, so I have time to update on what's been going on at my house.

On Tuesday, my twin sister Lisa came into town with her two kids-hooray!

On Wednesday we went to the Tempe splash park and dropped by my mom's office to say hi.

Thursday we went to the zoo and played in the splash pads there too.

Friday was spent at the children's museum. We also got to go out to Mexican with my mom and Gary.

Saturday we spent all day poolside at Grammy and Art's house. My brother and his wife and baby were also there-I finally got to meet my adorable new nephew Joseph the 7th, otherwise known as Seven. My Uncle Rob and his son also got to be there. We had an awesome time hanging out with family all day long.

On Sunday morning Lisa did a photo shoot of Ethan at South Mountain before we went to church for Seven's blessing. Then we loaded 6 adults, 4 kids (3 and under), and a dog into a rented 12 passenger van and headed to LA. Over a year ago my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer, and he recently took a somewhat sudden turn for the worse. Since we were all already in Phoenix, we decided to drive out and let him see all the great grandkids, and us, at least this once more (he'd never met my niece and hasn't seen my sister in a long time). My Uncle Jimmy, who has always been very close to the kids in my family, was also able to come out from Indiana with his family, so we had a lot more quality family time. It was sad to see Grandpa so weak and sick, but fun to be together as a family.

On our way home today, Tuesday, we got stuck in a 3 hour delay caused by a semi tipping over and blocking the freeway. We let the kids out of their car seats as we essentially parked on the freeway. As the delay got longer, I got claustrophobic and realized I would be getting home too late to get my 30 min of exercise in for the fitness competition I am doing, so I went for a 40 minute walk on the shoulder. I tried jogging, but between 100 degree weather, street clothes, no hairtie, and borrowed tennis shoes with no socks, I mostly walked. I got back to the van and had stained the inside of my sister's shoe with my blood, oops.

Through all of this family hoopla, I still haven't missed a point on my fitness challenge, which means I haven't eaten any dessert or eaten past 7:30, among other things, except on Sundays. I've also been exercising at least 30 min/day. This has required a little resourcefulness like walking during a traffic jam and running stairs at the motel, but it feels great to not be going home with big fitness regrets.

And now you're caught up on the first half of my family's visit to Phoenix!

*posting from my phone means I don't know where the pictures are showing up, but here are a few glimpses of the fun. More pictures to come when people who actually carry their cameras send me some.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

No comments: