Thursday, July 29, 2010

Non-fiction

We have been in Utah since Friday packing, packing, and packing! Mike's mom is moving out of the house their family of 10 has been in for 35 years. After at least 7 tons of garbage, who knows how many truck loads to DI, the claims of all 8 children, one 26 ft. Uhaul, and a pick up bed full of stuff, I am laying in a pretty much empty, close to 4000 sq ft house all by myself. After all the recent chaos of moving, I'm trying to soak in the quiet.

I think rather than clean late into the night, I'm going to read. This makes me realize that I am behind on reporting my non fiction. I wanted to read a book about Al Capone, but the one I wanted wasn't at the library. I quickly chose another and placed it on hold not realizing it was a Juvenile book. So, it was short and not terribly detailed. So, it probably shouldn't count toward my one/month non fiction goal.

I think I will still call July a success though because I listened to a non fiction audio book. That is kind of cheating in my mind because I didn't actually read it, but two "if-y" books will combine to meet the goal of one I guess. Anyway, the book I listened to was called Man Hunt (I believe) and was about the 12 day manhunt for John Wilkes Booth. I love history, especially American history, so I really enjoyed it. It was told as a narrative and had quotes from a variety of original sources. Some of the most interesting things I learned were: the assassination of Lincoln was actually one part of a big scheme including the attempted/planned assassination of the Vice President and Secretary of State; originally Booth just wanted to kidnap Lincoln (he had been conspiring for quite some time); and Booth's escape was slowed quite a bit because the first time he finally reached the river that would take him to the South, he rowed the wrong way, back towards DC-smooth!

This month I will be making up for my shortcomings in July by reading The Great Bridge, a 562 page book about the Brooklyn Bridge. I've been looking forward to this one for months! I need to get reading now that I have some quiet time if I hope to get this done in a month.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

No comments: