Most of you know that before Ethan came along I was an elementary school teacher. As a teacher I had, and looked for, many "teachable moments" every day, and I don't mean just in content areas. Now with Ethan, it is amazing how much I am teaching him everyday, even at this age. He finds being "thrown" by Mike amusing; he thinks my wet hair tickling his face is funny; he even enjoys diaper changes now. As he experiences these things the first few times he has that startled, "what the heck" moment, and before he gets a chance to freak out, he sees me or Mike laughing/smiling, and then he decides that maybe the experience isn't so bad, maybe even funny. It is amazing the influence we have!
To compare another set of teachable moments, I remember as a teacher anytime a student would "pass gas" it was a big deal among the students, but as a teacher I would encourage them to "be mature" and would frown upon all the giggles. Then I had a baby, and I can not help but laugh every time he lets one go (which is constantly). Take into account what I explained in the previous paragraph, and now I realize that kids are taught from day 1 to laugh at these moments--so who are the "immature" ones? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment