In October we had our long awaited first backpacking trip to Havasupai! I got the blog all caught up before we went so I could record the trip right away, but, unfortunately, when I returned my computer crashed and it has taken me awhile to get back in the game.
My friend Sarah and I had been saying for years that we were going to do Havasupai. It can be really hard to get a permit because reservations for the whole year open on February 1st and the phone line stays busy. I had called ahead of time and learned online reservations would be available for the first time this year. On the day that reservations opened, though, I couldn't find the link anywhere. I spent a day and a half with an app that redialed and hung up and could never get through. Then, as I was looking on line I found a link in a comment on Facebook for the reservation site. It still took some drama as I tried to redo dates with everyone coming and the site kicking me out and not letting me finish my reservation, etc., but between me and Sarah working on it as I got Ethan from school, we got reservation.
My mom came into town and after going to Peter Piper Pizza for Ethan's birthday, we drove up to Flagstaff to Sarah's dad's house. We repacked our bags, waited for everyone to arrive, and got dinner at Oregano's. We got up early the next morning, drove a few hours to the trailhead, and got started. We saw quite a few broken car windows, so we were nervous about leaving our cars. Mike and I put everything in the trunk and left our car doors open so at least they have to break the windows.
Here is our crew starting out: Ashley and Jesse, Sarah and Ryan, Alyssa and Matthew, us.
We took it pretty easy on the way down and it took us about 6 hours to reach the campsites. That hike is about 9 or 10 miles, but by the end of the day we had gone about 14.
The first view of the water.
We chose this awesome campsite. It was not very crowded, so they must limit Fall permits.
After setting up, we went to explore the falls. Going in October meant the water wasn't as enticing, but I think it is worth it for the cooler hike. The water stays about the same temperature all year long, but we weren't hot enough to enjoy the really cold spray.
But it was definitely worth it!
When we got down to Beaver Falls we stopped for lunch and then waded around all the terraces.
The water was fine from the waist down. We did swim across one part to use a rope and climb up the cliff face to get to a higher level. I don't know where those pictures ended up. Ryan was the only one who jumped off the water fall (ignoring the signs). I am not as confident as others and was pretty nervous coming down the cliff face while Ashley just flew down. The hiking that day was about 8 miles.
On our second night we left our freeze dried food on the table instead of hanging it or putting it in a bucket. Mike woke up in the night as critters were tearing it open. They looked like raccoons or lemurs. He shooed them away, but could see their eyes reflecting in the bushes. He had trouble going back to sleep after that. A few hours later, at about 4am, Matthew felt something on his leg (from outside his tent) and found one of the critters laying there. He kicked it off, but was pretty unsettled. They ended up packing up and leaving then. Sarah and Ryan set an alarm and left early. Mike and I the Randalls left about 8:15am. We made a lot better time on the way out. We actually met Sarah and Ryan at the top. Mike was setting a pretty aggressive pace through the first 6-7 miles of the hike, but when we hit the 2 miles of switchback to get up, he was running out of steam (probably not enough salt and electrolytes). He didn't want to feel like he was holding me back and I was still feeling good, so I pushed up the hill and finished at 12. I went and got the car, which had not been broken into, and pulled it up to the trailhead before going down to walk the rest of the way with Mike.
In the nearest town, we stopped for a burger, checked in on the kids, and then headed to Sedona.
The whole thing was an awesome experience and had me totally ready to apply for a permit to hike the Grand Canyon. I asked Mike about that as we were driving away, and it was the wrong time to ask. He like the trip until the switchbacks out, but that may be enough to keep him away from the Grand Canyon.











































No comments:
Post a Comment