Thursday, July 30, 2015

1st Grade

1st grade started today!

At the end of the school year, I decided one of my summer goals was to get Ethan to get dressed before coming upstairs in the morning.  He did great all summer, and then walked up in his pajamas this morning.  After almost having to "use my mean voice" he went down to get dressed.  I finally went down to talk to him rather than calling down the stairs, and he was sitting on the couch half dressed.  I sat down and asked what was wrong and he started to cry and say he didn't want to go to school.  Mike and I were both the type of kid that is excited about the first day, so this attitude is a little foreign to us, but not new.  Ethan was the same way last year.  He likes school, he does well, he would just rather stay home.  And it is always the hardest after a break.

Anyway, yesterday Ethan had a "yes day" to get to have extra fun before school started.  I let him choose his breakfast today, and he wanted first day of school shaped pancakes.
 Fortunately, my kids get up at 6 (I can't believe I actually say that), so we have plenty of time to get up and get ready for school.

Obligatory first day pictures.
 Getting all three to smile by myself is kinda hard.
 Or getting them to stay put.



 Overall, Ethan doesn't get excited about new back to school stuff.  This year and last year when I told him things he could pick out, he found them around the house and insisted we didn't need new ones (backpack, binder, pencil pouch).  I don't know if that makes him more like me because he is frugal, or less like me because he doesn't get excited about buying school supplies.

Anyway,  he was actually very excited to pick out a backpack this year and LOVES this one.  He had me take several pictures of it, including one of just his backpack in case it breaks during the year (then he'll remember what it looked like).

 Besides the few tears early in the morning, he was fine going to school.  He got to pick his seat today, so he was sitting by friends.  I really liked his teacher last year and we had a great start to school for Ethan, so I hope the trend continues this year!

No comments: