Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pre-Christmas December

The day after getting home from Thanksgiving we went to the Leybas' annual gingerbread competition.  There were two judges.  One gave us 1st place and the other didn't give us 1st or 2nd.  Here is "The Little Engine that Could."





 On Wednesday morning I flew with Asher to New York to watch Lisa's kids.  Dan surprised me by being on my flight and getting us upgraded to first class, score!

 Unfortunately, when we got to DC for our layover, our flight had been cancelled because of weather.  We would have to wait so long for the next flight, that if it got delayed, we would miss Lisa and Dan's flight to the Bahama's, so we rented a car and drove 7 hours to Rochester.  Asher was a champ.  He did not like being told he couldn't go up and down the escalator and stairs at will, but other than that, he was super patient.
 I wasn't a super exciting aunt; we mostly laid low with a sick Ruth one day, and school for the big kids.  We tried to surprise Lisa with getting some chores done (although, I must not have mentioned the surprise part to the kids, because they told her every night) and did dance parties in between cleaning.  I also got to play games with the big kids at night.  On the last night I took the kids out to ice cream.  I love pigtails!
 But boys are pretty cute too.  Asher was jealous of Rosemary while we were there.  He would sit on my lap every time I changed her diaper.  When I did her hair, he would position himself between me and Rosemary and slowly starting back up forcing Rosemary to get further away from me.  They both have buckle turtles that they love, so Asher learned the word "turtle" while we were there.




 Cute game between James and Asher.

 This means I can check him right?  He was really good on both flights (5 hours on the second), but didn't sleep much.
 He pushed the stroller all over the airports instead of riding in.  He got lots of attention for that.  I was amazed with all of my traveling how kind, patient, and helpful people were at every turn!
Cool temperatures brought hail (look on the grass)!
 And the most "white" Phoenix sees as people over their plants to protect from frost damage.
 The first day of Christmas break (after chores) we went to Enchanted Island.  Asher is getting old enough to enjoy it and Ethan is getting old enough to get bored with it.




 Ethan liked riding with Asher to help him enjoy it more (showing him how to steer/honk/etc.).

 We took a preschool field trip to Butterfly Wonderland.  The tour started with a 3D movie.
 Looking at the hatching butterflies.
 Butterflies!

 Notice the butterflies stuck to the boys here.
 There was also a sting ray petting tank.
 Benton was totally into this.

 And the random, huge, desert tortoise I saw crossing the road.

No comments: