This is largely for journaling, so bear with me, or I guess just stop reading if you're bored.
I'm a pretty solid 5-6 days per week exerciser now, which amazes me a bit, mostly because of my long term consistency and the difficulty of the exercises I've been able to do in the last two years.
Today I was reflecting on how exercise has become my hobby. I don't think it's my hobby because I love it while I'm doing it, but because it is something for me. I choose what to do, when to do it, and it feels indulgent to structure things around something just for me. Plus, I don't feel guilty because I know it is directly beneficial for me and the baby I'm carrying, and I like that Ethan sees exercise as a priority and fun (especially at race finish lines). I'm sure the endorphins help with the positivity as well.
My exercise routine has already changed due to my pregnancy, especially now that I don't have the Ragnar pushing me to keep running 6 miles regularly. At 16 weeks pregnant, this is my current routine:
Monday: Strength training aerobics with friends at the church.
Tuesday: Run 3 miles with jogging stroller.
Wednesday: Step circuit class at the gym.
Thursday: Kickboxing (killer class) at the gym (occasionally Body Works strength training instead)
Friday: lately I wake up drained on Fridays, so the plan is water aerobics. Today I did yoga and then walked 3 miles to the post office instead of driving (walking helps to loosen up my muscles after kickboxing soreness).
Saturday: Run 3 miles if time, schedule, and energy permits.
Almost every day I notice benefits of all of this exercise: (1) energy to chase Ethan around, although I do take a nap most afternoons (2) ability to chase Ethan around (3) fitness level and size to climb through little spaces with Ethan at the Children's Museum, among other places (4) strength to lift and throw Ethan around (5) feeling of accomplishment as I stick to goals and see ther results...you get the idea.
As I was reflecting on these habits, I started musing on how I got to this level of exercise.
2008
October: Had Ethan
December: Weighed myself and was appalled that more baby weight hadn't come off on its own. Started using my elliptical regularly.
2009
February: Got bored of the elliptical every day and started the Couch to 5k running program. Eventually was up to about 4 miles. Started attending aerobics classes at the church.
August: As reward for reaching my 30 lbs weight loss goal, went to Utah and climbed Mt. Timponogos.
September: Committed to my first Ragnar. Started training for a 10k Turkey Trot.
November: Ran 10k Turkey Trot in 56:59.
December: Was assigned runner 12 for the Ragnar (distances: 7.8, 7.2, 3 miles)-yikes!
2010
January: Began training for 8 mile distances, on a mountain.
February: Ran Ragnar.
June: Started training for a half marathon.
September: Ran half marathon (that's 13.1 miles!) in 2:09:40ish
October: Began attending the gym that opened on the corner while continuing to run.
November: Ran Turkey Trot 10k again.
December: Got pregnant.
2011
February: Ran the Ragnar (6.5, 5.4, and 4.5 miles)
And that brings us to now, when exercise feels like something enjoyable and rewarding that I get to do for me most days!
I hope that after #2, and at busier times in my life, I will still make exercise a priority, because I know at each major change in life I have to re-establish the habit/hobby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment