Saturday, January 22, 2011

I'm not Lying

I really think Ethan is a great kid! Does he throw tantrums? Yes! Does he struggle to share? Sometimes, especially if something is being pulled from his hands. Is he opinionated and independent? Yes! Do NOT reorder his trains or pick him up when he wants to walk on his own, etc.

Despite all of this though, I think he is great and he is almost always a happy kid. The reason I bring this up is that I feel like his worst moments have been public lately. Those moments make me feel like a bad mom and like one of those moms who has a crazy kid but says her kid is perfect.

Last Sunday was a crazy busy day with meetings and Mike was out of town. I had great friends helping out, but Ethan got away from me at church and made it outside before I found him and then was really loud during an evening program I was in charge of. Then today at a baptism he was again loud/crying several times (both events involved several boys sharing Ethan's trains) and I again lost him. As I was talking with someone I was listening to Ethan's voice and knew he was nearby, but then couldn't find him. Lots of people joined the search inside and out before he was found locked in a classroom (he couldn't open the round doorknob) right by where I had been standing.

So, for the record, I'm not a liar, Ethan really is a much better kid than he's appeared to be at the last few church events.

P.S. As I taught Mike tonight, men, when your wife describes events like these and says they make her feel like a bad mom, don't agree by saying, "no, you just can't take care of him and do something else". Instead, as most women would, reassure her and say it happens to everyone, it doesn't make you a bad mom, etc. :)
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

4 comments:

Tina said...

Dang. You stole my line. The whole time I was reading this post I was thinking that it happens to all of us.

Ethan is such a cutie and he is getting so big. I told Brian that if we ever move out west, I want to live in Arizona. So Maybe someday we will be able to get all these crazy kids together. :)

The Bundy Family said...

I totally agree with you! You know my situation in church. Brinklee really is such a sweet little girl. Church just does that to us, well and public places. The best part about it, is most people that have had children really do understand. They are only children and they are curious, busy little things. They don't run away on purpose...they are just distracted by everything surrounding them. Ethan is a great kid and just like any other 2 year old...he is 2. I think I would be upset if someone grabbed something out of my hand too. They don't know what they are feeling, only that the object was there's. In situations like these we automatically think that we are bad mom's, or that other people think we are bad mom's. The fact is that, you are not. You are very attentive and totally involved in Ethan, I have witnessed it. Each child is different from each other and also, different from us, their parents. So sometimes we are unsure of how to handle certain situations...my advice..just roll with it. As soon as we figure out how to deal with certain situations the child throws a wrench into it and everything changes. Thanks for posting. I 100% sympathize with you.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I am with you and totally understand. It is the worst feeling too as a mother, when our kids act out and pretty much make us look like we are lier's:-) Keep it up, you ARE doing an AMAZING job...he's two:-)

Steffani Dastrup said...

Um what??? I am so happy for you! So sometime in September? That is so great Linda! And I'm so sad that we are going to miss you Disneyland by only one week! That would have been so much fun to go around together! Don't ride too many rides :)