Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ode to the Intrigue



Yesterday we sold the Intrigue! My parents bought us this car after our freshman year of college, and Lisa and I shared it until we got married, at which time, I took it. There are SO many big memories associated with this car, so I thought I'd share a bit of my reminiscing. For those of you who had not so flattering pictures taken in this car, sorry! :) In the summer of 03, shortly after purchasing the car, I drove to Nauvoo to meet two of my freshman FHE brothers for the day:


The same summer, my best friend from HS, Celine, and I drove to St. Louis to visit Chris, another one of my best friends from HS, at Washington University.





On the way back we got a flat tire. Some kinda scary guys stopped and put the spare on for us. We met Celine's dad at the state fair where he had just bought this new truck. We drove back to Harrisonville with me going slowly on the donut, Celine in this truck, her dad in their trailer, and her mom in their other truck. We were quite the caravan.




My mom and I drove the car out to BYU at the end of the summer. In Wyoming I got a speeding ticket, we had to sit on the freeway for awhile waiting for a shooter to be cleared, and we broke down when my fan belt broke.




At BYU, the Intrigue became our roadtrip car. It was roomy, reliable, and got 30 mpg! Here is a trip we took to Manti.






We also stopped in Orangeville, Cadence's home town.





This is actually in the car. Sorry it's not the best shot ladies, but I have worse. :)









Not pictured are a few trips to AZ. The Intrigue and I actually lived in AZ for a few months with the Leathams. For some reason I can't seem to find many pictures of that summer, but here is one random one. How many of you can say you've done that? : )




Back in UT that summer, Lisa and I drove to Bear Lake for our traditional family reunion. It was a very long drive as we got quite lost. Here are all my aunts and uncles and my grandma on my dad's side:



And a group of cousins (Lisa had just gotten back from Kenya, hence the braids).






Mike and I met that summer and in the fall started dating. Here are pictures of a road trip we took to San Fransisco. We got a flat tire and Mike had to change it in the dark and rain.





Conference with the roomies and Mike:




The Intrigue had a few months with just Lisa while I was in New Zealand. After getting back, Adam, Jessie, Leslie, Kassie, Mike, and I took a trip down to AZ:



Sorry again guys, but here is a picture in the car. :)



Later that summer Mike and I drove to CA to visit Grammy and Art (my grandparents). This is at Big Tree National Forest.




Which is where Mike proposed! A total surprise to me, but not many others. Actually, Lisa almost ruined the surprise when on the way out I called her and said, "Guess what?!?" She almost answered, "You're engaged," thought better of it, and just anwered, "what?" We had gotten a flat tire (seeing a pattern in the tire situation?) and I was just calling to tell her about it. Whew, that was a close one.



Grammy also took us to Columbia and got this picture taken of us.


The December after we got married we went on a cruise for our Honeymoon. We stayed with Mike's sister Rachelle before we left: The next summer the Intrigue made a last minute trip out to Mississippi so that I could interview for a job. I got a job, left the car there, and we flew back to Utah. A week later I flew back and started work in Mississippi. Not much of that year was chronicled, but those of you who know me know I won't be forgetting it anytime soon. :)
For Christmas that year we drove the Intrigue to my mom's in Missouri. There we got to see my brother and sister and adorable nephew James:


At the end of March we moved to AZ. Here is the house we bought a few weeks after that. That tree is HUGE now compared to that picture, and Mike keeps the grass much nicer. :)



Well, this is the end of the journey with the Intrigue. Farewell friend!




















2 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh how I loved this post!!! The
In rig e treated us so well. (Did I get the missing letters right?) Wow, those are some great memories. I miss you.

Janelle said...

That leaves out the other half of the intrigue's life. Like the time we drove it to Nevada, and got a flat tire on the way home (I got to change that one). Or the time Lisa, Emily, and Danielle drove up for my bridal shower in Seattle with Emily and Danielle in the trunk (I don't know if there's a picture of that one) and they got a flat on the way home (yeah, I'm definitely seeing a pattern!)

That car will be missed by us all!